How to narrow down your research topic? Research is a task that requires time, patience, skill and expertise in the particular subject area. When you start a research you think about the time and other resources available to you. These resources will be required as you will carry out the research. Every researcher narrows the research topic in order to make it workable, manageable, justifiable, and focused. Be it a research topic for high school research paper, thesis, dissertation or any other research the topic should have a focus and direction that can pave the path to success. Your time is money in the case of research and you have to develop a topic that can make better use of it.
How to narrow down your research topic?
To narrow down your research topic you can use any of the various methods but the simplest method can be as follows:
1. To narrow down your research topic first write down your research subject area and then the research topic that you have decided.
2. Your next task should be to brainstorm the different aspects or dimensions of your research topic. From these topics select one dimension that best suits your research.
3. Now you are in a position to rephrase your research topic. Read out your new research topic again and again to look for any chances of narrowing down again. Narrow it until you get satisfied with the width and depth of your research topic.
4. Now decide whether you want to make it a comparative study, a correlational study, a descriptive or historical study. You need to rephrase your topic again. The phrasing of the research topic should be such that it can explain what type of study you are going to undertake.
5. In the end check your topic for any loopholes, if there are any fix them now. Check the phrasing, the spelling, the use of language, the objectives it conveys to the readers and to you.
6. One thing you should keep in mind research is a task of responsibility and from the start do not take anything for granted and be very clear about your research topic. If you find that the research topic is not one that is manageable or focused you can change it as it will help you later in your research.
Why narrow down your research topic?
Sometimes student think that their research topic is already a focused one but in reality it is not. Students should get their research topic checked by teachers, fellow students, or by an expert in research. This will help them to be sure that their topic is focused, directional, and specific in nature. You need to narrow down your topic for following reasons.
1. Broad topics cannot be justified in a limited time and you cannot develop a focal point. Your thoughts and actions wander from one point to another.
2. Broad topics require more time, money and energy to accomplish the research. As a student you have limited time and your first priority should be to fulfill the task on time.
3. When the topic is broad there are many dimensions and you cannot control these dimensions. Due to many dimensions the chances of bias increase. The chances of error increase as you cannot focus properly.
4. The evaluation of data also becomes difficult and you cannot make appropriate conclusions. The readers also get confused what are the main focus of your study.
5. In depth knowledge cannot be generated because you have to focus on many subject areas in one research. There are big studies that are done by expert professional researchers and they require several researchers working together as a team.
6. Often researchers get bored of their topic as it gets lengthy. You are not able to fulfill the requirement of maximum words as it requires lengthy explanations.